Monday, October 13, 2008

Boston Rock Gym Plastic Pulling: ABS Comp

On Saturday, the day after a project send in Pawtuckaway, I was ready my first ABS comp of the year. Some very strong and talented climbers put in a lot of effort to set, Max and Gavin that I know of at least, so the comp ended up a success all around. I ended up in 1st for the Male: Open category just ahead of Brian Bittner, while Francesca Metcalf took 1st for Female: Open, one of the MetroRock team members that I have the opportunity to help train. She is ridiculously strong at just 15 and I can't wait to see what she pulls off this year.

The best part of the comp though, other than feeling the good ole' plastic bug creep back into my veins, was catching up with Brian Bittner. Turns out we are at the same point in our lives where we are basically doing just two things: climbing and working to climb. I told him my plans about climbing in Hueco for a month before the ABS National Bouldering Championships, and he is doing the exact same kind of timed training, but in Boone. Since we are both on the same page, I am just going to head down there in January, freeze my ass off, and hopefully get a little bit stronger before Nationals so that I don't get crushed by all the freaks out West. Ha!
I also told him about my plans to go to Vietnam/Thailand/Ha Long Bay next year and turns out he was thinking the same thing and knows the guy who heads the guiding association out there! So, all and all, I am more psyched then ever to train, since Brian is the man and it should be fun to work together on the same goals. This year is definitely shaping up to be interesting--granted I don't get injured like I always do. POSITIVE THOUGHTS! NO INJURIES! Pray to the rock gods. A'men.

No comments:

Post a Comment