Friday, October 23, 2009

Supernova is Done: Yippee-Doo!

Today was one of those rare days where everything finally fell into its place. I sent Supernova (5.14b) after slaving over it for months (from the low, real start; what Vasya would call "the start"). At the risk of sounding cliche, I have to say that standing on top of that 15 move power fest was one of the finest moments for me in climbing yet (best of all, I got to share it with my Dad who took off work for the day). And I'm looking forward to the next one, whether it be me or one of my friends, it's those seconds of pure joy that stand out the most.

So, ya, back to my super-epic, jaw-dropping story [For all of you serious crushers out there, the preceding verbiage is known as sarcasm]. A little while later, Neil and I walked up the hill to give They Died Surfing (5.13d) a shot. Despite its looks, it climbs really well and I ended up sending in a few tries. I was just as surprised as the lil' stupid chipmunk that kept running by with acorns stuffed in its face.

Neil, the beast master, regained his confidence on Steady Slobbin (5.14b) by matching the gold-fish for a second; almost breaking through to the top. He'll have it next try. Below is one of the most inspiring pieces of climbing I have witnessed to date. Just after falling off the gold-fish, he boinked back up and was hell bent on a solid one hang. When he wants to get something done, he does.

"My pinky hurts like hell, but I'm going to one-hang this," Neil said as he dug his pinky once more into the lock, which he ended up tearing to shreds, despite finishing the burn in good form. [Side note: He cranked so hard on the top of They Died Surfing later in the day that he ripped two tips wide open, gushing blood like...well...two tips that have been ripped wide open]. Anyway, check this shit out...

Neil Mushaweh: Steady Slobbin from David Wetmore on Vimeo.



The rest of the photos are, well, whatever. Psyched!





































































4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 AM

    NO BULLSHIT WITH DAVE WETMORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who dis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:00 PM

    You are a stunningly good looking man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:01 PM

    And I think I can see your johnson rod thru those pants.

    ReplyDelete